Cleaning and Maintenance Guide
To help you maintain the natural warmth and distinctive texture of your oak timber floor, we recommend the following steps. You can also speak to our team of timber flooring specialists in store for more care tips and advice.
- When cleaning floorboards, we recommend you use Bona Floor Cleaning Mop and cleaning solution, available in 2.5ltr pre-mix bottles at Smarter Timber Flooring. After vacuuming, spray the Bona solution directly onto the floorboards and allow a short time for the liquid to dry. Once dry, mop with the Bone Floor microfibre mop head (when dirty, this can be machine washed and reused). This should be used at least weekly in residential premises or daily in commercial premises.
- If some parts of the floor gets excessively dirty or you would like to give your floorboards extra protection or a higher gloss level you can use a coating of Maintenance Oil, Object Oil or Hardwax Oil. These are available from a company called Whittle Waxes: Ph: 1300 326 929.
- Placing door mats at external entrances and felt floor protectors under all of your furniture is highly recommended. Your floors should also be protected from excessive heat and sunlight.
- Regular vacuum cleaning or sweeping with a soft broom will reduce the risk of scratches.
- Lift rather than drag heavy furniture when moving it.
- The use of steam mops and stiletto heels should be avoided.
- Any water or other spills should be mopped up immediately to prevent stains and discolouration.
- Do not allow unabsorbed oils (like cooking oils) to dry on your floorboards. Dried unabsorbed oil leaves glossy spots on the surface.
If you have any other questions, get in touch with our team. With over 40 years experience in the field, we can help with all your timber floor care and maintenance questions.